cutest blog on block theme

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ethan's first camping trip!

We love to camp. Unfortunately Ethan hasn't had a chance until recently but it was a blast! We went to a state park outside of Houston (about an hour out) with some friends from church. Ethan until this point had been crawling only. We knew he was capable of walking since he has been climbing all the furniture but just being his stubborn little self about getting off of all four. Until the great camping trip! He isn't the biggest fan of being dirty--I know, lucky mom:) and so he decided to start walking rather than crawling in the dirt. Since then the walking has definitely been on the up! Anyway, back to camping.....

Because the great state of Texas (that's the official name of the lone star state for those of you who don't know) has suffered a drought this year--funny since I remember several flooding incidents--we had a fire ban. Instead of roasting those delicious mallows over an open fire we used our "propane accessories". It was wonderful to see stars again. We must have heard every bird in the state bright and early which should please most campers but is sometimes annoying to those of us who are not morning people! We even heard a hoot owl and a rooster....not to mention a few car alarms and the boy scouts just down the road.

 
(Ethan learning to walk on Daddy and Daddy falling through his 3rd camp chair)

The next day we took Ethan on his first official hike....which hilariously wound it's way around a perfectly manicured golf course. It was still pretty though and the river and scent of the wild onions was refreshing. Ethan enjoyed watching the potato bugs crawl in the dirt and birds flying through the trees. I think he especially enjoyed the other baby who came with her parents. He loves to give her kisses and spent a good part of his morning following her around simply to kiss her and show off his cool belly button.

1 comment:

Ashley Schill said...

Your camping trip sounds like lots of fun! Did you go to the park we went to for Memorial Day? I bet it was nice to get out of the city, and you picked a great time of year to camp. Beat the huimidity! That's great Ethan is walking now! I read your post below about your food dilemma and I can relate but have no solutions! Jamisen is a little on the skinny side (hard to believe since he was a huge chunk as a baby) but more so I need to gain weight and Jeff wants to lose weight! It's pretty much been like that our whole time being married. I'm just grateful I'm on the side of gaining! ;) Good luck finding meals that work!